With almost all of us spending a lot more time at home than we’re used to, there are some changes that you may want to make. Of course, there’s the usual reorganizing, experimenting with new home recipes, and DIY crafts. However, while you’re taking the time to do that, you should also take the time to make sure that your guns are safely taken care of at home. Gun safety is of the utmost importance and keeping it in a safe place and out of the reach of children and other people can be the difference between life and death. In this blog post, we will be going over some of the top safety tips to making sure that your gun is securely stored in your home. Keep reading to learn more!
Starting off, it’s important to understand that nearly all firearm accidents in the home can be prevented when gun owners take the simple precautions and proper protocol to help prevent these incidents. Anyone who owns a firearm needs to be fully trained and aware of any potential misuse, especially in the home. While most of our readers and customers are fully aware of gun safety and protocol, it’s always good to have a reminder. Here are some of our tips:
- Always keep the firearm’s muzzle pointed in a safe direction. This means that the gun should be pointed in an area that even if an accidental discharge occurred it would not result in injury. Wall mounting guns is a popular way to display them, this is especially critical for placement. Not only do you want to make sure that they are high enough and out of reach for children but that they aren’t pointing in any area that is usually populated (ex. Living room, kitchen, etc).
- Keep your firearms unloaded when they are not in use. Whenever you pick up or touch a firearm, to avoid any accidents they should be empty. People can easily jolt or accidentally press the trigger, especially when they aren’t paying attention or are distracted by something else.
- Store your firearms in a proper storage case or vault. These storage cases are made specifically for guns and have proper locks and security to make sure that children and other guests are not allowed in. The gun security code should only be given to trusted adults and never children. You should be fully aware of anytime someone is either in the gun storage case or plans to open it.
- Invest in a gun lock! Gun locks are locking devices that render the firearm as inoperable when it is not in use. This is an additional safety precaution that should go along with your storage. It is not a substitute for secure storage.
- Educate everyone in your family about the importance of gun safety in the home. Once again, as a gun owner, you’re probably well versed in the areas of gun safety but make sure that everyone in your household is aware of what is appropriate behavior when it comes to guns.
S.A.F.E. is an acronym to help make everyone aware of gun safety.
- S: Secure your firearms when not in use.
- A: Be Aware of those around you who should not have unauthorized access to guns.
- F: Focus on your responsibility as a firearm owner.
- E: Educate yourself and others on safe firearm handling and storage.
Your safety is truly the most important thing. Not only is it your moral responsibility to make sure that your home is a safe environment, but it’s your civic duty. There are various acts, projects, and laws that promote firearm responsibility and provide plenty of education surrounding these topics. To learn more about the specific acts in your community, visit your local government websites. Just because children or people may not be asking you about guns, doesn’t mean that they don’t have questions. Speak with your family about safety and what it means to them. For more information about firearms, purchasing, and safety, visit us online and contact us with any questions! We have everything you need to uphold your second amendment in a safe and secure way. During this time, make your home a safer place today!